Tuesday 6 November 2007

Amenities

(photograph received by email)

Somebody I know has recently told me that she doesn’t remember ever having electricity, running water and a functioning telephone line at the same time. For the time I have been in Angola, I confess, I have been luckier than that. However, days there are, like the recent ones, when a random combination of those fail to apply. I have in the meantime developed my preferences: I now know I prefer water to electricity, and electricity to the telephone. Preferences aside, it was with suspicion that I realized the water had been gone for 2 days, especially since in my neighbourhood water tends to be much more of a companion that electricity is. Unlike many other times, however, the answer was this time easy to find. It was just, literally, around the corner from where I live. For the sake of my co-workers, I can only hope they fix it fast.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey my man!
Hope they've solved your water problem, but when all else fails try a dip in the ocean! As we say back home: "Atira-te ao mar e diz que te empurrarem!!!"
Take care!

Jorge said...

Yes, the water problem is now solved. Or rather, it's back to what it was before, which is a constantly wet toilet due to the infiltration from above :-)