Thursday 7 February 2008

Cockroaches

“Any of numerous oval, flat-bodied insects of the family Blattidae, including several species that are common household pests.” Sometimes looking at definitions has a reassuring feeling to it… not this time. The whole thing is getting slightly Kafkaesque: the day is not far when I come home after a day’s work, and find them cockroaches chilling on my sofa, watching TV and drinking beer, a number of their legs spread over the low glass table; going on to complain that I work too much, that we never talk, insisting that I please come and sit with them. It is getting out of control... They no longer stay in the kitchen, area that they have long ruled, and from which they enthusiastically persuaded me to stay away. They have now started to inhabit the toilet, the bedrooms and the living room. Indeed, I suspect that one of them is now a real estate agent, successfully promoting the kitchen suburbs; ”yeah, you have to commute, but look at the view...plus the neighbours are a completely different breed!”. The day is not far when they simply change the door lock, throw a party and ‘forget’ to invite me. The day is not far, unless the exterminator comes. He said he would come tomorrow.

4 comments:

Nuno Guronsan said...

Brilliant!!
Not much to say, really. Reading your words, I can almost imagine millions and millions of cockroaches storming through my door, preparing to invade each and every corner of my house.

Good luck, my dear friend. Hope the Terminator doesn't take too long...

Hasta la vista, baby!

Jorge said...

Hello friend! I do not know yet about their death. But I will eventually go home tonight, and find out. I'll keep you posted.

Unknown said...

In solidarity, let me quote Pearl Jam:
"all these...
i got bugs
i got bugs in my room
bugs in my bed
bugs in my ears
their eggs in my head
bugs in my pockets
bugs in my shoes
bugs in the way i feel about you
bugs on my window
trying to get in
they don't go nowhere
waiting, waiting...
bugs on my ceiling
crowded the floor
standing, sitting, kneeling...
a few block the door
and now the question's:
do i kill them?
become their friend?
do i eat them?
raw or well done?
do i trick them?
i don't think they're that dumb
do i join them?
looks like that's the one
i got bugs on my skin
tickle my nausea
i let it happen again
they're always takin' over
i see they surround me, i see...
see them deciding my fate
oh, that which was once...was once up to me...
now it's too late
i got bugs in my room...one on one
that's when i had a chance
i'll just stop now
i'll become naked
and with the...i'll become one"

Jorge said...

nice... but not very reassuring, the way it ends :-|