Wednesday 7 May 2008

My flat by the bay

View from the building’s west corner

The fire exit

I live in a nice apartment in the bay of Luanda. Without digressing on how many types of “nice” there could be, let me say that it is with pleasure and a sense of gratitude that I stay in an ugly, dirty and very noisy building often filled with very annoying smells, and with no organized condominium to clean it or otherwise take any form of care for it; in a flat with no electric water pump or functioning generator, with walls that have mould where paint used to be, with water infiltrations, a refrigerator that does not refrigerate, and a laundry machine whose door now demands that I heavily lay against it in order not to have the whole place flooded. And yet I like it, oh how I like it... I like that it’s big enough to have guests over. I like that I know a nice bunch of neighbours who will join me for a beer at practically anytime. I like that view from the building’s west corner, which is basically the Luanda Bay postcard from the 60s. And most sincerely, I like that I can walk to work, for sure the biggest of luxuries in this city. Oh, and wait… yes, I also like the rent. The flat currently costs 2500 USD per month plus utilities, paid in quarterly advances which I share with my housemate. I must tell you this is a very reasonable price in very reasonable advances for a 2 bedroom apartment in Luanda. So reasonable, in fact, that I have been living in constant fear of the day that has now arrived. The rent is suddenly 10000 USD per month. The sudden new occupant will pay one year in advance. And I have to suddenly find another place. Is this a crazy house market? Yes, this is obviously a crazy house market. Thinking of it, this must be the craziest house market I’ve ever seen. Now, the really, really crazy thing will actually be to find a landlord who is so out of his head that he has no clue as to the money his crappy flat is worth. And oh, what the heck, lets go Santa Claus on it; can I please have a place that isn’t 5 hours of traffic away?

6 comments:

Jojanneke said...

5 Hours? You're exaggerating. From my house it's three hours max to that beautiful bay. You're just spoiled ;-)

Jorge said...

Indeed I am spoiled... and with a bit of luck, I will continue to be spoiled. But you know it is true; a colleague of mine yesterday took 5,5 hours from Morro Bento to here. But of course it's her fault; she should know better and live in Bairro Popular, right?

Unknown said...

oh jorge. what are you doing? i can't believe what i'm hearing. i hope you are able to find another place. whoever that fool is paying $10K a month in advance should be kicked in the booty.

anne B said...

oi jojo, also 6 hours (yeah, max) of commuting sounds terrible to me. although, thinking about it, i could comfortably and cheaply do such a thing living in newcastle, where people are much more friendly and relaxed, and commuting into cambridge for work ... just check the map to see it IS crazy.

Jorge said...

Hi jess,

i see you managed to find the blog address :-)
yes, u r right, somebody's behind ought to be kicked. i'll find somenthig, but not something as i imagine ur new place over there..

Unknown said...

I think the Luanda bay would look great with a nice boat house... Your boat house!
At 2.500 USD a month buy or rent a boat, dock it and trade in your evening land legs for sea legs!
It's especially good if you get drunk! Swaying back and forth you'll never feel the difference!!!
;)